Today is January 4, 2010, below is my 3rd post for January 2009. David's medications are the same except for the addition of Axona, which I added to this post.
January 4, 2009
I believe that David starting on medication as soon as possible was imperative . David's on Aricept and Namenda, each twice a day. When he went to Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, they prescribed Aricept twice a day, and we'll continue doing this, until we see a decline. I really believe this has held his Alzheimer's at bay longer ........ He also takes Omega 3, C and E, Men's Multi-vitamin, and Axona (coconut powder).
We've been lucky/blessed that David's never had any negative side affects from his medication, only good.
After he started on Aricept and Namenda, I could see his sweet disposition returning. I think for him to know his diagnosis, and not have to pretend or cover up his actions or feelings, made life easier for him too.
I think it's really important to have a full stomach when you take the pills. David eats a big breakfast, the same each morning.....sounds boring, but he loves it. Old Fashioned oatmeal with 4 prunes and honey, orange juice, coffee, and 2 slices of whole grain toast with peanut butter. After eating all of this, he then takes a Namenda and Aricept. After eating lunch, he takes his vitamins, and in the evening, after dinner, he takes a Namenda, Aricept and Omega 3.
Back to real time, January 4, 2010.......and I say, "thank you God for medications!"
7 comments:
He looks comfortable and the sun is shining. That's good.
Dolores,
How wonderful to hear that the medications are serving their purpose in David's condition. As a nurse, I have seen it go both ways but, in David's case, we have God to thank that the meds are allowing him to be functional and continue to enjoy life.
If I may say so, you are also a blessing to your husband. Your love for him is so obvious and your unselfish giving, I am sure, makes all the difference in his daily life. God bless you, my friend, as you care for the one you love. We go in His strength, not our own. May His strength continue to be yours and may His blessings to you be abundant.
In Grace,
Marie
Very interesting reading, I love the Journal quality to these posts. hugs, judi
Dolores - this is so helpful to my husband and me, and I'm sure lots of others out there struggling with Alz. My MIL is taking the same drugs. Not Axona yet. I need to check and make sure she's getting her vitamins, too. But the Aricept and Namenda have helped her attitude SO much. She was getting upset and beligerent and now she is happy and accepting of her condition and seems to be content.
Thanks for visiting me! I'm directing my husband to your blog...
It's encouraging to know that there are some medications that are helpful. I'm glad that David is able to tolerate them. I think your kind and loving care are more helpful than any of the medicines, however.
Dear Delores...
Please pray I will always have the courage to share my faith...
Sometimes I worry my passion for Jesus will get buried underneath all the other things I love.
Bless you and David today. May your faith in the Almighty sustain you.
Love,
Rebecca
Hi Dolores -
What did I do with the eggs? Why I ATE them this morning for breakfast! They were wonderfully tasty - you really can tell a difference between fresh and store-bought. I'm sorry I'm afraid I'm not going to share them with your dog and cat! I know, I'll give 'em my store-bought ones that I still have in the fridge! Maybe they won't notice the difference. I've been buying fresh eggs from a lady down the street until I can get my own chickens. Maybe this is a start!
Post a Comment