We've just returned from David's 6 month doctor exam. His cholesterol is perfect, blood pressure perfect, all the blood work...perfect, and he scored 5 on the Alzheimer exam !@#$%^&*()%$!!!!! Five years ago he scored 18 out of 30 questions....
The doctor is amazed that David functions well in so many ways.......and yet....... he scored a 5.....breaks my heart and baffles the doctor.
Right now I'm feeling sad, but I'll bounce back, and I'll focus on what he can do, not what he can't do........5 is just a number.
God is good!!! And I say, "thank you God that he's been in a happy mood last week and this week."

15 comments:
This makes me sad too. He is in such perfect health, is happy, and yet....
The first portrait is such a beautiful one, the photographer captured something special in David's eyes. Maybe a little of something that stole your heart away in the first place.
I'm feeling sad right along with you, Dolores.
Focusing on what he is still able to do sounds like the best plan of action.
Hugs and prayers being sent your way.
Well, 5 is better than 3.
Thank you God for that much. Good moods count as 20 any day.
hugs, prayers and heartache shared.
Clynt scored 13. Let's hope David stays at 5 for a while.
Could have just been a bad day...
My heart aches a bit for you, too. Yes, it is just a number, unfortunately we have all believed that that is what counts. But knowing he is healthy and happy right now takes the sting of some of that pain away. God Bless!
Dolores, I heard today that this test is not always as accurate as other measures. That depressed me because my husband has gone up in points as you read on my blog, but in my heart I know he is not improving. 5 like age is just a number. To me it sounds like your DH is doing well and what a caregiver you are, my blogging friend!
Just got a new book in the mail that I ordered: "No Act of Love Is Ever Wasted." This was recommended to me by a Methodist pastor whose wife died of Alzheimer's last year, and when I can, I will begin reading and blogging about it.
How frustrating, there are too many unknowns with this awful disease. Happy though that otherwise he is healthy. Hugs to you!
I'm SO glad he's been in a good mood sweetie! I can't imagine what your days are like...and don't sweat the 5...his "body" may not be able to remember much but...his Spirit is Still in Full control....and he loves you.
Wishing I could help...(((HUG)))
hughugs
dolores, (((hugs))))
you both are strong in Christ, Who defies numbers!
That's right, Dolores, be positive! Focus on the what David can do and not on what he can't and being in perfect health with normal blood tests is a BIG plus! You are so very pretty in that picture!....Christine
David's body and spirit prevail. You do a GREAT job taking such good care of him. Just a number.
Screw the test! Like you said, it is just a number and David is functioning to well. Don't let that number get you down.
Karla
Thinking of you, dear friend.
In my humble opinion, 'numbers' and 'scores' do mean FAR less than functional living skills.
If I had to choose one or the other for my loved one, I'd pick excelling at functional living skills (which have David's doctors 'amazed').
God confounds the wise, but makes Himself known to the simple. Oh, how He loves us!!
Caring and hugs from Iowa, sweet cyber-friend...
I now understand why you were down the other day. I'm sorry about his score...I know it had to be really depressing to hear. I personally hate test scores because they don't always show the "whole picture"...but I do understand why they feel the need to do them. I agree with everyone here...it's a number for sure...but the things he can do are amazing and I believe so much of it is because of y'alls sweet relationship over the years and the wonderful care you give him each day.
Love you!!!! L~
Post a Comment