I Believe...

"LIFE IS NOT ABOUT WEATHERING THE STORM, ...IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN"

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Just Rambling.........and picture memories....

Memory lane 1963

From my first suspicion that something was wrong with David,  we thought the problem was his eyes.  The things he sees and doesn't see have been more the mystery to me, than anything else.     When I hand him something, he will reach for it away from my hand etc etc, and sometimes it's almost like he's blind.    In the beginning,  I  thought the problem was his eyes, we just needed to get them fixed.....Well, pooh that wasn't the problem!

 I  read about people with the disease repeating or asking the same thing over and over, and yet.... David doesn't do this, and never has.....I suppose this will start at some point, but so far so good.
These pictures were taken in 2003, the year David retired, and 2 years before the Alzheimer's diagnosis.

I hear people say to let the person try to do things by themselves, well....for us, this is a very thin line.   I want him to try and do things by himself, but.......if he struggles trying to get his pants, shirt or shoes on, he gets frustrated, upset and feels like a failure.   I've learned to listen for drawers opening in the bedroom in the morning, and I walk in and see if he needs help.  He's always so appreciative and tells me how fast I am at everything.  And we're usually off to a good day.   Let him struggle, and he feels defeated.  There are other times, when he manages to get his shirt or pants on by himself, they might be wrong side out or backwards, but if there isn't a struggle, he's good to go.
Good memories
He can't squeeze the toothpaste tube anymore, and has trouble getting the toothpaste on the toothbrush.   I looked at him one morning, and he was trying to shake the toothpaste on the toothbrush.    Thankfully, he doesn't mind my helping him.
This picture was taken of me on a see-saw in Switzerland...... this is what I feel like most of the time, like I'm on a see saw.
Life is good, but goodness.... it can be like a see saw at times.   Like today, he reminded me that I'd forgotten to give him his lunch pills (which I had).  Thirty minutes later he's extremely concerned about our  2 ceiling fans on the patio ceiling.   He thought they were people ...... I calmed him down.......and it goes on and on, but thankfully there are many good times.

And I say, "thank you God for the rain we're having right now.... we need it." 


16 comments:

judi/Gmj said...

The routine of things.. yes even the pills, God bless you! This all rings so true to me. Up and Down, kind of a jarring like when you are on a see saw... You are articulating your feelings quite well. hugs and prayers, Judi

Barbara said...

Honestly, I wish everyone could approach this disease like you do. As long as he doesn't mind you helping, help him. If he doesn't, don't. You know what springs the moods, why make it hard for you?

This disease is so insidious. It never strikes the same anywhere.

The one thing I am certain David knows now, and will always know, is your love for him. You are a perfect example of what a partner is - and what marriage can be.

Now that I've branded you a saint (I know, you're slugging thru just like the rest of us), I must say that you two have clones! Your son looks just like David and your daughter just like you! How'd you do that?

Vikki G said...

Dear Dolores,
I pray the Lord's strength be upon you. I pray that the Lord would also give David the strength to walk through this illness...I pray strength be upon your children and grandchildren. I pray that each and everyday you are able to enjoy it to its fullest.
Love and blessings,
Vikki

Vickie said...

Dolores, what sweet family photos and memories! Your little blond-headed grandkids have David's eyes! Lovely family you have there.

I second Barbara's sentiments exactly! David knows you love him, and you are a wonderful example of true love, commitment and caring are all about!

Glad you got some rain - we sure could use some up here, too. God bless you both with many good days ahead, Dolores and David!

Are you getting "out" still for a break? I hope so! Take care ----

KathyB. said...

Dolores, I always look forward to your new posts and this was such a sweet one. The first picture made me a little sad , looking at you two, a young and hopeful couple. A beautiful couple. Yet really, it is an amazing picture of a love story in the beginning years. You have raised such a beautiful family, have beautiful grandchildren, and are now in the stage of life that shows what love is...faithful, devoted, there for each other and no matter the frustration, in love, and loving. In all the practical and meaningful ways that count."If that's not love, what is?" ( Fiddler on The Roof

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Dolores,

Love how you record what is happening here and the love you have for David. You are inspiring and I thank you for writing on my blog also. Although we have never met, we share a love for the LORD and that journey with our husbands.

The disease has done different things to our husbands, but they still are our husbands. My husband gets dressed at this stage, but has trouble with mechanical devices such as cell phones and remote controls. He gave up his theological library and sold workshop equipment. He still drives with a GPS unit, but I know one day he will have to give that up and that will be hard for him.

Gilda Spitz said...

Love the photos! Just keep that see-saw going as long as you can :)

Rebecca Nelson said...

Dear Sweet D...

When I read your moving posts two distinct thoughts come to my mind...

One...is that you are filled with grace and love and an unbelievable amount of patience for the husband of your youth (and your youth...you guys look like models in that first pic from 1963).

Second...I want you to know that God is using your journey to remind me to enjoy my life today, exactly how it is, trials, travails, mishaps and all for one day, who knows when, it can and may change in the blink of an eye.

May God in His mercy give you MORE wonderful days and I pray the UNWELCOMED MONSTER that has taken residency up in David's brain will stay quiet for a long, long time...

Love to you as you minister to those of us willing to listen.

Rebecca

Unknown said...

Thanks, for the fun pictures, what a beautiful family you have....sweet grandchildren too! So much love around you!
Love that first picture...you are even standing on a block of wood, too short for a standing picture! lol
There seems to be so much anger in Alzheimers, and if you can make the situation work without it, go for it! You are doing a wonderful job and I know it can be so tough sometimes, times when you feel unable to share, how you really feel or share how bad things can get. It's ok, you have lots of shoulders to lean on, that's what we are all here for...try us when you need us.

Latane Barton said...

Dolores,
Thes post says it all... happy times, sad times, wonderful family, being young and in love... being older and having to be helpful. But, knowing that God has you by the hand. Hugs and love

Janean said...

your post is so informative. i never realized this diseases affects the eyesight.
i asked a nurse the difference between Alzheimers and dementia and she said Alz is a actual physical disease much like developing swiss cheese in the brain (holes) whereas dementia is more a memory loss from aging. does that sound right?

Donna said...

Hahaaa...I had to smile at you in the picture of you standing on the piece of wood!
And heads up on the toothpaste problem!! Get one of those instant toothpaste squirters for him from Bed Bath & Beyond! I see you have one in San Marcus. Copy & paste this link:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=119883

I think he'd enjoy it...
Sweet day to you sugar!
hughugs

Happy@Home said...

Great photos of your lovely and loving family. You look so happy and carefree and cute on the see saw. Sadly, the Alz. see saw isn't quite so carefree. That is a good way to describe the day to day living with this disease ~ like being on a see saw.
I found it interesting to hear that David's started with his eyesight. I think my mom's eyesight seemed good, but she did a lot of repeating.
Glad you are getting the much needed rain.

Joy said...

You are doing a great job, Delores. I also think about how much David loves you and is concerned for you. I also noticed you standing on the block of wood--funny. Beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

I always appreciate how honestly you write about the difficulties of this disease. It's very humbling to all of us who read it...you are a good person Aunt D!!
I love the pics! And so glad you got rain!! :-)
Love you! L~

Barbara said...

Janene: Alzheimer's was explained to me as "the mother of all dementia". Alzheimer's is the mother ship and then all dementia falls under that title.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...