(Pope and Laura)
Our 12 year old granddaughter, Laura ask her mother if it was strange that she couldn't talk about her feelings, but she could write a story about her feelings ..... Here's the sweet story she wrote about David (her Pope).LOVE
On one summer day, Anna Grace was walking to her favorite spot by the creek. When she got there, she sat under the old willow tree, which has been there for over 20 years. Anna was thinking, ever since her grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, things were hard for the family.
She was only three when her grandfather was diagnosed. She didn't understand it. She didn't get it. Now that she was twelve, the memories she has of him, were slipping away very slowly.
As she was thinking, she saw a little wooden box.
She went over to pick it up. As she did, she was aware of a tiny little voice, ever so small, calling, "Help me!" As she opened it, a boy stood up. He was five inches tall and one and a fourth wide. He had dirty blonde hair, blue eyes; he was wearing an orange t-shirt, blue jeans and sneakers.
"Hello, my name is Jason, what's yours?" he asked. "Anna Grace, " she said, recovering from her shock. "What are you?" Anna asked. "I'm a nymph," Jason said proudly. "Really? I've always read that nymphs.....well, look different."
"Well, you can't always believe what you read, should you?" Jason asked a bit hurt.
"Now, since you saved me from that wood thing..." "A box," Anna corrected...."whatever."
"Would you like to make a wish?" Jason asked. "Yes, I would please" Anna said excitedly. "I wish that my grandfather didn't have Alzheimer's and that my mom won't get it and there will be no such thing as Alzheimer's!" Anna cried.
Jason snapped his fingers, and it happened just like that. "Did it work?" Anna asked. "Yes," Jason said. Now, the healing of memories will take a day or so. When you ask him a question his mind should be working as if it had never stopped.
Now then, off I go. Good bye Miss Anna Grace. See you next time. And just like that he vanished.
(Laura)
Anna ran to her house. The next day, when her mother, father, and she arrived at her grandparent's house, Anna asked everyone to follow her to grandfather's couch. She asked, "Grandfather, what is 5 x 5?" Mother looked astonished at the question, but grandfather simply said, "25". Now everyone was astonished. Then, Anna asked the question that has been nagging her for years, "Do you know us?" "Of course I do silly; you're my granddaughter, daughter, and son in law, and wife. Why are you asking me all of these questions Anna?" There were tears in mother's and grandmother's eyes. "It's a long story" Anna replied.
(Pope and Laura after a swim)
Oh, how I wish this were true! However, I do know that one day he will be whole again. All things sad will be gone.
Anna ran to her house. The next day, when her mother, father, and she arrived at her grandparent's house, Anna asked everyone to follow her to grandfather's couch. She asked, "Grandfather, what is 5 x 5?" Mother looked astonished at the question, but grandfather simply said, "25". Now everyone was astonished. Then, Anna asked the question that has been nagging her for years, "Do you know us?" "Of course I do silly; you're my granddaughter, daughter, and son in law, and wife. Why are you asking me all of these questions Anna?" There were tears in mother's and grandmother's eyes. "It's a long story" Anna replied.
(Pope and Laura after a swim)
Oh, how I wish this were true! However, I do know that one day he will be whole again. All things sad will be gone.




36 comments:
How wonderful that Laura could verbalize her feelings in such a nice way. She is a talented storyteller. Like you, I wish it could be true too. Wouldn't that be great.
Very sweet... and sad. All things will be new. David will be healed, and my mother will be healed. No more tears.
Delores, That is a precious story! God bless your granddaughter. I wish it could come true for her.
I am glad her feelings can be expressed in her writings. So much better than keeping it all bottled up inside.
Oh that is a wonderful story. Anna wrote it very well and I have always felt that a good writer can make a reader laugh and cry within the same story. Anna did both with me.
She has a gift. And she loves her grandfather. Bless her heart...
What a wonderful story! And you know, on a spiritual level, it's true... I know her " wish" came true.
She's so beautiful Delores. And thank God for your blog! David's memory and journey will Never be forgotten.
Much love to you All.....
((((hug))))
Thank goodness for small mercies. Youth has a way of spring back.
She does indeed have a special gift. Touching story and I also wish it could come true...
Jeannette
OMGosh, I could not speak if I had to...that was beautiful and filled with so much love. You are truly blessed.
What a sweetie!!! Love her story and her love for her family!!! Have a beautiful week my friend!!!
What a wonderful sweet and lovely story of a granddaughter and her love for grandpo. Children are so pure and clean with their thoughts and their love...Jesus said: "Let the children come to me" and yes, someday David will be whole and pur like a child and so will we. Your pretty grandgirl has touched my heart, bless her too. Love,
FABBY
she is wise beyond her years....what an awesome post....
That is so touching. I hope she always remembers her special times with her grandpa.
It is WONDERFUL that your granddaughter can write out her feelings AND show them to the world! That is SO important, now she won't hold it all inside. It must be so hard for her. I feel for her greatly. As a child I had alot of STUFF that I didn't understand but noone to talk to. God bless her!!! XO, Pinky
Man, if it were only that easy.
It must be wonderful to be a child and have that perspective!!
Gulp! My mouth got dry, and my throat cramped, and it was hard to breath. She so perfectly described the pain I feel over the loss of David and the heartache you bear. What a wonderful gift she has!
That is so sweet. She wants to make it all go away. She sees and feels the pain this disease brings to others.
xx Jenny
Oh what a beautiful story. Itt brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet and beautiful girl. She is so young but so full of emotions....Christine
what a beautiful wish from a little girl with pain in her heart. Oh, if there were only a nymph who could fix things. That story brought tears to my eyes as I felt her heartache. Sweet granddaughter. Hugs, Latane
This story, written by your sweet granddaughter, is wonderful! How lucky she has been to have her Pope be part of her life. You can tell she adores him.
Even though you read this to me...I got weepy reading it in print. I like what Deb said...Laura is "wise beyond her years". Sooooo glad she can write down on paper what she's feeling in her heart. Her story teaches us all a lesson....that it's okay to wish for what "once was"....but that there will also be Ultimate Healing in the end. Beautiful story!!! Love you! L~
What a lovely girl, I think that it's wonderful that she can express herself this way. That came from straight from her sweet heart and brought tears to my eyes. You are so lucky, Dolores to have her. Hugs...Lu
I love this granddaughter of yours. Her story tells me she fears her mother will have Alzheimers. The pictures of her with David, and her sweet smile,well, remind me life goes on and there is happiness even when things are not so good.
What a lovely story! Perhaps Laura will be the little nymph who grows up and finds a cure!
Dolores,
This story made me cry, but a good kind of cry. The ones that seem to clean house of emotions you might have tucked down deep inside.
Your granddaughter's story is excellent. You might think about sending this lovely story to the Alzheimer's Association. A child always can heal in their beautiful innocence. David will be whole someday, and He will smile when he reads this.
How blessed your Granddaughter is to articulate her feelings so beautifully. Thank you for sharing it.
Karen
Out of the mouths of babes....
That would be wonderful! What a lovely story, and the end is true!! : )
Dolores, the story is wonderful! You have a very special granddaughter.
Gilda
What a beautiful and touching story. She is one very special young lady~a blessing to you and your family. I remember what it was like for the kids to see my grandma's and dad's decline and it is so hard for us as adults but for the children in our lives~the kids explained it to me as not having had enough time...but really it is never enough! Lifting you all in prayer.
love and hugs,
Vikki
What a sweet and touching story, reminds me so much of my Bailey who will be 12 in June. They are so innocent and full of love...time slips away so quickly. I hope you're doing better darling.. I remember when Mr. P's mother wanted to go home, meaning Ne. and to the rest home, it was the hardest things I ever went through, never realizing a few short years later I would be looking at the same thing again.... hugs ~lynne~
Ok Miss D....I can't see thru the tears...
Wise young girl who has been given a sweet song to sing. It's melody has blessed me.
Never ceases to amaze me how God is always right on time.
Kiss her for me, will you?
xoRebecca
Wow!!! Let's see if I can formulate this comment through my tears! What a beautiful story!! Your granddaughter certainly has a lot of talent! Tell her she is like many people, who can express feelings better through writing...that's why I love blogging so much! I know many of us feel that same way! Wouldn't it be wonderful if that could come true, but you are right...one day he will be made whole. What a blessing! Thank you for sharing this precious moment and story with us. It's so important to see and understand that this disease affects so many. I hope you all save and frame that or make it into a book or something, it is too good !
Love the pictures that you added with it! So special! Tell her she did an amazing job and to keep up the great work! This helps to see this disease through the eyes of a child, so important!
Bless her heart. How precious and what a tribute to your dear husband. I await that day, too... when there will be no more tears.
Out of the mouths (and minds) of babes! Just beautiful!!!
Post a Comment