David doesn't see things the same way he did in the past. I don't know if everyone who has Alzheimer's experiences this .....maybe not, I don't know. For instance: he might say that he saw a huge pack of dogs, when he was walking Casey, and there were actually 2 or 3 dogs. Last night I had a package of spinach on the counter, and to him it looked like a package of chips. We laughed about it, and I told him he was welcome to eat the spinach if he'd like. A person's first response is to correct him, but I'm learning not to do that. It makes life so much easier for him and me to agree, laugh.... and stay calm! It's so easy to see why we thought he had major eye problems three years ago, because of his perception of what he saw. However, it's strange that
he can still see to read.I thank God that he can read!!!!,........ He reads the SA Express News and the Wall Street Journal almost from cover to cover everyday. I know he understands most of what he reads, because he'll make comments to me about articles he's reading.
The bottom line is .......I 'try' my best not to contradict him if he's seeing something incorrectly, that is, unless it's something that will ease his mind.
We're so blessed that he can still read, and that he's always enjoyed reading!
6 comments:
What a beautiful and compassionate way to handle someone else's "different perceptions". We could all learn from this lesson whether we are living with this disease or not. Such a truly wonderful act of giving!
By the way, Kelly who signed up as one of your followers, was the person who motivated me to post on RMS! It's so nice that she followed you here! :-)
Love you! L~
It is so nice to meet you. However I feel as if I know you already. I met your darling niece last year via the RMS days..she is a dolly. We had my mother-in-law for 2 years with this disease. I so understand you daily life now with all the ups and downs and the laughs about the every day occurences. It's a roller coaster ride and one to be enjoyed as best one can.. my thoughts and prayers are with you as you go forward with this journey... hugs ~lynne~
The picture with dad and Freida is one of my favorite pictures of dad!
And good old Molly was the best and sweetest dog!
This post was so touching. My best friends father in law is going through the same thing and it is so heart breaking to watch. He will ask his son how many hours it will take him to get home when he could walk over , ask them how many children they have and where they live, if they are married ect. But luckily he is happy . I wish the best for you and your love one.
Aunt D, I'm so glad you shared the story of "Racer"! I never knew you called him that! Now every time I look at him, I know his name! :-) Love ya! L~
Dolores, this was a really good entry. I did not know that people with Alzheimer's have problems with perceptions, and it is so good for you to help others understand this and be prepared for it, with your special touch of graciousness and kindness. You are a true "Southern Belle" in the very best sense of the word! Love, Nancy
Post a Comment