I love this photo of us sitting on our patio with friends.....

Early on I noticed that David was struggling from time to time to 'find words'....but don't we all do that from time to time? At the same time, I noticed he was using a particular word as his 'crutch word'...... the word was 'device' ...of all words, but anytime he couldn't think of a particular object he was trying to say, it would be a 'device'....He still does this. Actually, I think he's so smart (which I knew anyway), to find a particular word, and hang onto it as a replacement when he can't think of a word....... (funny that he doesn't forget the word 'device').I remember several years ago, when our daughter would come for a visit, and she would point out to me that her dad was laughing at inappropriate times. I was noticing this myself,....and adding this to my list of suspicions of Alzheimer's.
Everyone who has Alzheimer's has different actions and reactions. This is my new normal with him. He laughs a little harder, and not always when something is funny, but what a blessing that he's laughing instead of crying.
And I say, "thank you God for a word found and laughter."
5 comments:
Happy Friday, you two! I think the sweetest word my mother ever used was when she asked me what the name of the disease she had was ... then answering her own question ... asked if it was called 'imagination!'
I also loved the fact that she could remember to call pine needles by that name and called them 'stickers!' Because as she raked and raked my front yard in Florida I'm certain they must have stuck her a few times!
Device is a great word for David to use ... you are right in that it reminds us of his high intellect and that it hasn't gone away.
I actually like the fact that he laughs more easily... when I was growing up, I never thought of dad as someone that was a big laugher. He was always more of the serious type.... so, I like seeing this lighter/happy/laughing side of dad.
And I already knew dad was smart... I think device is a very creative word to use in place of other words.
I also love the word "device"...afterall, a device is a type of "tool"...and in this case it's a tool for a word. It's actually very fascinating. It shows what an analytical and smart brain he has! And...I'm so glad he's LAUGHING! I never really thought about it until now, but I've always loved Uncle David's laugh! There's a heartiness and joy to it! Love you! L~
Oh sweetie... thanks so much for your prayers... they are so appreciated.... laughter is such a joyous thing to hear... we don't have that right now...hugs ~lynne~
Wishing you, David and your family a joyous Easter.
Post a Comment