I Believe...

"LIFE IS NOT ABOUT WEATHERING THE STORM, ...IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN"

Friday, August 21, 2009

DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENT and A GRANDSON

Memories - Memories
1969

This week was David's six month appointment with his gp doctor. His weight is good, blood pressure good, cholesteral good, all his blood work good ................. he's so healthy, other than this @@##$%*&!!!! disease called Alzheimers. However, I must say that I'm so happy we're only dealing with this one disease.

The doctor always seems amazed, because David appears to be okay. Knowing that David was a CPA, he ask him a simple math questions, 2 x 2 = David finally figured out that 2 x 2 was 4 ... YEA! The doctor ask him what month and year it was..... and David said, " I should know, because I just had a birthday." I ask him if it was June or August and he said, "August.".... YEA! He didn't know the year. Oh well......

Yesterday was a bitter/sweet, but a fun time having our 9 year old grandson come for a visit.

Here's a photo of David and Andrew playing army men in 2005. They always had so much fun 'setting up' the little plastic army men.

So yesterday when 9 year old Andrew ask his Pope to play.....they tried. David couldn't recognize the different pieces, but when he would get one right, Andrew would say, "good job Pope." I think Pope's condition is teaching our grandchildren patience and understanding. A good thing!

David couldn't recognize the pieces, and couldn't remember how to play, but ..... I also think Andrew, at 9, is also outgrowing plastic army men, and had trouble playing too................









We made cup cakes in 2005 and in 2009 we made cup cakes again.........




























And I say, "thank you God!~"

9 comments:

Helen said...

And I say 'yes, grandchildren are presented with a new understanding of love, acceptance and change' when confronted by this disease called Alzheimer's.

Hope you will be able to join a Memory Walk in your area! Ours is next month!

Tomarie said...

I agree with Helen...she said it so perfectly!!!!
Wish I was there with y'all by your pool RIGHT now!! :-)
Love you! L~

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Dolores, aren't grandkids just the best? Our 9 year old grandson calls and asks about his Papa everyday. When he's here they always have their special time together. I'm always so thankful for the smiles on both their faces, whether Papa understands fully isn't really important. It's that one on one time they have and they seem to understand between the two of them what's going on. I'm glad to hear all of David's test turned out well. Bill is scheduled starting on Monday 3 more tests. This past week has been a tough one.. but today is a new day, a new week and new experiences... hope you're holding up... hugs ~lynne~

JeanMac said...

That's so wonderful for your grandchild.
Wayne is physically healthy, too, seems such a shame to deal with AD.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi darling, thanks for swinging in to see the steam rise off the lake. We have yet another day of clouds and rain our way. This has been the strangest year around here... I hope this finds you and David doing well... hugs ~lynne~

Latane Barton said...

I love this post. Although thoughts vanish from Elbert and David through this awful disease they can find joy in some simple things. I admire your strength so much.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

You are such a scream.. I told my girlfriend what you said about how many roosters and bunnies I had.. She asked me if I had ever counted them.. well.. NO.... gosh girl I'm sure I have more bunnies if you include all those outside and the Easter ones I only put out at that time of the year. Just the thought of counting them would probably scare me to death.. She thinks it's hysterically funny that I even have roosters.. birds scare me to death.. but I love all my roosters inside and darling you only saw a "very-small" part of them today..lol.. I hope this finds you have a good week..
hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Delores,

Thanks for stopping by! It's always a pleasure!!!

I am so glad to hear that David is in good health other than the Alzheimer's. It sounds like his memory is not that bad either! (Thank God)

PS.. Your grandson is adorable and those cupcakes look yummy!

xoxoxoxo
Donna Marie

Happy@Home said...

I do believe that even though it is bittersweet, your grandson will learn a lot of life lessons from his visit.
I have a similar picture of my dad and my son playing army men on the floor. It brings back such happy memories.
The cupcakes look yummy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...