David had his six month appointment with the neurologist this week. The doctor gives him a test each time, and I just hate it! I protested about him taking the test again, but after the doctor explained to me, the test gives him 'markers' how David is doing. I consented....I always cry silently, sometimes not so silently, when the doctor ask him questions and he can't answer. This was my first time ...not to cry, not that he did better, but I think I'm getting hardened to the experience.
It's so hard to keep my mouth shut when the doctor ask David questions, and he can't answer....... I want to give him hints. One of the questions was to name as many animals as he could in one minute. He named a few, and then I said, "think of the zoo", and he said zebra...... Yea, one more animal named.
It's so hard to keep my mouth shut when the doctor ask David questions, and he can't answer....... I want to give him hints. One of the questions was to name as many animals as he could in one minute. He named a few, and then I said, "think of the zoo", and he said zebra...... Yea, one more animal named.
He scored a '5' - six months ago, and this week he scored '4.'
The doctor said several of his patients are taking Axona as a supplement to their medications, and he's seen some test scores go up.......Would we like to try it for a week? My thought: this is a terminal condition.....why not try it. So far..he's had two doses of the drink...... we shall see if there's any change.
Axona is a medical food, regulated by the FDA, that addresses energy deficiencies in the brain by providing an alternative source of energy. In clinical trials, patients taking Axona experienced cognitive improvement in 45 days.
We took Casey to the pet store today. Tomorrow is her second birthday, and we let her choose a present. She has the present in her mouth........we're totally disgusting over this little dog, but she adds so much pleasure to our lives.
Casey takes David out of the house several times a day for a walk, and he also does a little dance with her.......Ok, we are disgusting!
And I say, "thank you God for anything that might improve David's memory and happy moments with Casey."



8 comments:
OH girly...I can sooo relate to how you feel about those dreaded tests. I was with my father when he had one not long ago. He looked right at the Doc and said "Don't know!" Then he laughed. :( :( :(
ON my sister Jenny's blog she has a picture of my brother and my daddy taken around 1977. He looks so young...healthy...stable mind...I'm sooooo thankful he doesn't understand where he is and what is happening to him. He would truly hate it.
I share this journey you are on my friend. I just hate this long, long road. My only joy comes from knowing God is with me. He is with you, too!
Love, Rebecca
Well ....... if you are disgusting, it's in the very best way possible!
I am happy to know we have hope with a new medication!! I can only imagine the anxiety that goes along with his doctor's visits. I think it's great y'all are trying the new medication...it sounds like it has real promise!!
And disgusting is exactly how you should be with your baby girl! (Although I'd be so embarrassed if someone heard the way I "talk" to my little boy! LOL!!)
I love you very much!!
L~
Pets are the best! Keep on spoiling your baby.
Your post touched me very much as I walking through this with my grandmother. It is so hard for me to see her going through this~ I pray for the Lord to restore her...and on her bad days it is heart rendering...Thank you for posting. It means a great deal.
Blessings,
Vikki
Dolores,
I can tell that Casey is a great source of happiness in you lives. She is also a souce of consistency in David's daily life. Something solid and dependable that holds David's attention and interest. In many ways, she is like a service animal to a handicapped person. I really think that dogs were wonderful creatures in the hands of the Creator because of their usefulness to us. He created them for those purposes.
We have our little Beau and we are, as you say, disgusting! HAHA! Deb
Hi Dolores...I am glad that David is trying something new. Why not? He can always stop it if you think he should. Let'e hope it changes the results of his test and you find improvement.
Your little Casey is just the cutest dog.... What a darling face. She's an extra bonus in your lives right now. I'm sure it is so fun to have her around.
In my prayers,
Susannah
Casey is beautiful, and I am sure she brightens your life and David's as well. I feel that Cavaliers were put on this earth to comfort the lonely and bring joy to the world. Casey is doing a great job I see!
Post a Comment