1963, the year David and I were married;
I liked a song by Franckie Valli called "Oh What a Night" .... Last week I was thinking of two songs "Oh what a night" and "Night and Day"........but I was thinking of the songs with different lyrics.
David's having hallucinations at night. Thankfully not every night, but for me, it is nerve jangling. I wake up saying, "oh what a night" and then I'm thinking how different he is during the day, compared to night.
He's doing well during the day, and I'm so thankful! He sees things that aren't there during the day, but they're always pleasant. At night he's usually upset, afraid or angry.
Oh, how I hate this awful disease! I think I've said that a time or two.......
I was thinking today, how great it would be if we could say ...."ALL DONE"..... not only to Alzheimer's, but all the diseases/problems etc....
Wave a magic wand and say, "ALL DONE!"
I don't want this post to sound negative, because we are truly blessed. I have so much to be thankful for.... and I am!
on a closing note....
Mother/daughter hearts and minds so often think alike.
We didn't plan to dress alike, but on one of her visits.... we looked at one another, and lo and behold...
And I say, "thank you God for promises of never being alone."


26 comments:
Sorry your nights are so tough, makes it double hard on you during the day, when you are behind on your sleep. Would leaving some light on for him, help?
Wow, that is so great....what a gorgeous picture of you and your daughter! Matching too! What beautiful ladies, you are!
Hi Dolores - you two girls look absolutely beautiful! You both must have great taste and a good eye for colors! It was fun to dress like mom when you're little, and you get to a point when you get older that it's fun again!
I hope you are getting plenty of rest, friend, with David having hallucinations. Does he have anything to help him sleep soundly, or is that an option?
Just make sure you're getting enough rest so you can take good care of David. I'm glad he's only seeing good things! I suppose you could have some fun with that!
I agree with Vickie. You two look like fresh-faced, beautiful sisters. I love this photo a lot.
Wow. It would be so hard to drift off to sleep wondering, worrying if David may have a bad night. How do you get him calm again? Do you need to get up and stay up with him?
I will pray for peace day and night. In Jesus' name...Amen.
Hi Dolores, thinking of you :) Don't forget the mirrors....lol.... Jenny
I have to laugh at you and your daughter discovering you'd dressed in the same colors unbeknownst to each other for my daughter and I do this all the time!
You two look very much alike. Daughters are so very comforting, aren't they?
Has there been much research into why night times are so full of such un-rest and nightmares for Alzheimer's sufferers?
Dolores,
There is this sundowner's syndrome where at the end of the day our husbands might be agitated. Did/does David experience that? I have seen that with my husband and wonder if sundowner's is a precurser to nightmares in your situation with David. Dotty seems to have nightmares on the Alz Reading Room now according to blogger Bob. The staying calm seems to help for Bob.
I love lime green and white also. Love how you just put a little "delightful" in every time you post.
I think it is quite okay to be negative once in a while. You are dealing with a lot and always handling it with grace. The matching outfits are so perfect! You are both beautiful.
Karla
You truly do not across as negative at all..You are dealing with a great deal all the time. You have blessed me with your faith in Him that shines thru you and in the words you write. Is there not some medicine that they can give him to enable him to rest better at night. Mother had hallunications but they were never frightening to her and she eventually didn't have them anymore. Praying for a peaceful night tonight and many more to come. I believe you know the author of Peace and I pray He will flood you with His presence and that blessed peace that passes all understanding...
Oh sweetheart, I wish I Could wave a magic wand, just for you!
And you both look beautiful!! Love that color on you Both!
((((HUG))))
Oh Dolores, your daughter and you are so pretty. I am so sorry, David is having hallucinations at night. I hope it stops soon. I like that song by the 4 Seasons too. One time we were looking for it on the song list while having a Karaoke session and we couldn't find "Oh what a Night". Turns out the title is "December 1963" I think...Christine
Your daughter and you are so beautiful...I think its the eyes...eyes to the souls!!! Wishing you some peaceful nights friend!!!
You and your daughter are lovely. I wish that we all had magic wands! Thank you for sharing! I hope it helps. Know that your family is in my prayers.
Hi Dolores....You have every right to feel just the way you want to feel. And it would not be good if you kept it all inside. We all know that you are so sweet and always up!
The picture of you and your daughter is lovely. Children are wonderful, are they not? My daughter has been with me when I needed her lately. It is a wonderful feeling.
Take care, Dolores.
Susannah
Oh dear, so sorry to hear about the hallucinations. That must be so hard on you.
But I love the photo of you and your daughter. As the saying goes, "Great minds think alike!"
I hate it so much that David is having a tough time at night. That wears the caregiver out big time. Been there, done that. I am with you all the way when you say you wish we could just wave a magic wand and it would be over. But, we don't get that choice. I think my magic wand is rusty.
You two are just the cutest ever. Talk about thinking alike.... perfect.
If I had one of those magic wands, I'd be waving it like crazy. I am sorry to hear about these night hallucinations. In my experiences with my mom, I thought they were probably the most unsettling symptom. When my mom first started experiencing it, I was told by a nurse that it is common at night and they call it sundowner's. She said she had seen people be fine around dinner time, then go in the bathroom and come out like a different person.
I hope for your sake you are able to still be getting some sleep.
As always I keep you both in my prayers.
On a brighter note, the photo of you and your daughter dressed alike is so cute. I can see her resemblance to you and you are both very pretty ladies.
dolores, you never have to apologize for sounding *negative.* you've been a wealth of information and encouragement for many, many people.
i agree with you in wishing for a way to wipe out all disease all the time. in the meantime, we look to an eternity with healthy bodies and mind in the presence of our Lord. yay!
You are so beautiful. Every single time I see your picture I say to myself you could have been a model! Beautiful lady you are (daughter, too!).
Now...I've been thinking of you my friend. Today I saw my dad and I'm overwhelmed with sadness. Regardless of the things I'm grateful for today I found myself wanting more...
More time.
More conversation.
More laughter.
More patience.
More recognition.
More grace.
Thankfully the later always comes.
Love to you as the journey continues...
xo~Rebecca
Back from a reunion with my sisters (2) .... so many conversations about Mother, both happy and sad. I remember the dreams and hallucinations Mother had and how frightening they were for her, and for me. Tonight I don't have a magic wand or words of wisdom ... just know how much I care about you.
.... I'm so tired I forgot to say how really beautiful the mother and daughter photo is! I'm keeping this one in my photo files ... OK?
Dolores,
you and David continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I pray Gods strength be upon you that you walk through this heavy season of life with Him right beside you. I pray that David would be able to settle down at night and sleep peacefully and that anything that he would see would be joyful and happy.
Blessings and much love,
vikki
My heart sank when I read about your nights. How frightening that must be. I thought of something I hoped would encourage you. I've been listening to the book version of "Hinds Feet on High Places" and I think you would find much comfort in it. The main character's name is 'Much Afraid'. Her feet are crippled and her mouth is crooked. She wants to go to the High Places but can't make it there because of her disfigurements. The Good Shepherd sends her 'Sorrow and Suffering' to be her companions. She not only learns to take their hands during her journey but also learns lessons of 'acceptance with joy'. I've listened to it twice already and know I'll be listening to it over and over again. So often during my own journey with a disabled husband I will recall something said in the audio that encourages me. It also reminds me to immediately call out for The Shepherd when fear is 'yelling' at me! I purchased it from www.christianaudio.com. The Lord bless you and keep you and make His face to shine upon you! (P.S. Hannah Hurnard's theology changed after Hinds Feet so I wouldn't recommend any of her later books. But, Hinds Feet is an accepted Christian classic that has been in Christian circles for years and theologically sound).
Living on Less, that is such good insight from that classic book. I also love how 2 Corinthians 1 couples suffering with comfort.
Hi Delores, beautiful, peaceful photos of David and the kitties... also of your daughter and you. Blessings to your family.
You and your daughter are beautiful! Our daughter just got married this past Sept. and oh what a WONDERFUL day it was!!!! She is my HEART!!!! I am so sorry your nights are bad. I don't think I will complain anymore about my hubby's snoring: you have out it into good perspective!!!!! Thank you!!!!! XO, Pinky
Post a Comment