Some nights are great, and he'll almost sleep through the night, but there are nights like last night; a night of hallucinations and confusion. Any worry/concern we have always seems worse at night. I remember the first year David was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I dreaded going to bed; my mind would race and worry. I thank God for the light of day!
I've hoped his added confusion is because our weather has been misty/dreary/gloomy. We all know sunshine and exercise are so important for everyone, but especially someone with Alzheimer's.
We normally walk several times a day, and he spends time outside doing the one thing he can still do.....SWEEP. The sun is shining today....YEA! He's outside as I type....sweeping the water off the patio.
The bottom line, this is a progressive and fatal disease, and a decline is to be expected, but certainly NOT WELCOME.
I thank God for daylight, sunshine and exercise.
25 comments:
I thank God for daylight every day. I can't go for long without sunlight. It was gloomy this whole three day weekend. Of course, I go back to work and SUN!!
I'm sorry David is having bad nights. Those changes are never welcome. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
xx
barbara
glad the sun came out...I can tell when the weather is dreary and cloudy my FIL will be at his worse...heres wishing for more sunshiney days.
Delores, I got a "Happy Light" for Carl, it seems to make a difference, small but a perceivable difference. It is made by Verilux. He put it in back of his computer screen and turns it on for several hours a day. Not closer than 18 inches. I cut his time down some because of his meds and limitations on exposure to sunlight. Here is a the Verilux site so you can check it out.
http://www.verilux.com/learn-more/winter-blues
You remain with me through out this journey. love, Judi
The changes you describe are so sad and hard to watch. It is strange that they do seem to be more pronounced at night or when it is gloomy outside.
I do hope the sun stays out and things will improve for David. My thoughts are with you.
Hugs,
Kim
You always bring light and sunshine when you post on your blog. I am praying for God's strength for you as you see these changes in David and for David that the Lord gives him calmness in his real storm.
Hugs and prayers,
Carol
Here's hoping more sunny days will come your way, Delores. Do you think one of those lamps that simulate sunlight might help? Or is that a totally silly idea? Maybe put it next to a chair he might sit in often?
Oh Dolores, so sorry about David getting more ocnfused. I hope it is temporary and hope the disease does not progress any more. Take care!....Christine
Thanks for dropping by today. I'll keep David in my thoughts and hope for the sun to shine each day. Hugs, Deb=^..^=x5
We have to be thankful for small things.
I think of you and David often.
Diane
We have to be thankful for small things.
I think of you and David often.
Diane
Dolores, we pray for those for you. Things are worse at night. I hope you get some sunshine and good weather. I'm glad you don't live in the Midwest! Hope David settles back into a good schedule.
The changes like this are always scary. Because you always wonder if this is the time where it won't be for a few days only.
We are in the gloomy, cold, dreary midwest. No chance of a sunny day to get outside for weeks and weeks to come. Most days there's no point of trying to talk Mom into getting dressed and out. The coats, hats, scarves and gloves are alot for her.
There are so many people who care about you and David ... the artifical light suggestions are great ~ never thought of that!
hugs... lots and lots of hugs for you darlin'. ~lynne~
Hugs, Jenny
Hold on..spring is not so far away. Just a few weeks..hold on!
Really, I am praying for you both.Sunshine and sweeping to help you both survive and even enjoy the day God has given you."This is the day the Lord hath made, let us rejoice and be glad in it"...even tho we don't see how.
Then, I'll be praying for Tons of sunshine for you both!
It HAS been dreary and "dark"....gets old!
Loving you today sweet friend...
(((HUG)))
So sorry you two have night troubles....and it has been so dark and gloomy. Someone mentioned a special light, maybe that would help. I have SAD and I must use those 'blue' light bulbs to help get me some 'sunny' help in the winter. They really help me. I am sure this isn't his night trouble but certainly could help on the dark days.
Stopping by to send some extra sunshine. Longer daytimes are coming..
Wishing you a week filled with sunshine...and all of its healing forces...simple things keep all of us grounded!!!
Sending prayers to both of you today!!!
though i ADORE moonlight, i'm happy that in heaven it will never be night!
gentle hugs for you both.
The dark winter days seem to drag us into them. Any ray of sunshine is welcome indeed. I am thankful that David was outside sweeping as you did your post. I think of the two of you so often and you are also in my prayers. Many, many hugs.
I am so glad your daughter convinced you to get some assistance. It is so hard but necessary to not try to do it all ourselves. I am glad you went to the shower and enjoyed yourself. Just think, if you are exhausted you can't give your best to David so help is a GOOD thing! Prayers to you on your journey!!!! XO, Pinky
As I read through your posts today, I've enjoyed a feeling of camaraderie with you as a fellow Alzheimer's caregiver; thank you for sharing. I've always believed that the bright sunlight that pours through the southern window in my mother's apartment has been therapeutic for her. Her chair is near the window and she loves to watch the birds at the feeder outside, so she gets a healthy dose of light each day. Just one of the serendipitous features of the apartment we added to our house for Mom. God is good.
Oh, my dear friend, I can relate and send love.
Post a Comment