David is adjusting and doing better than I expected..... I'm crying happy and sad tears tonight. Happy that both of us are adjusting ...., but sad and crying that Alzheimer's entered our life so many years ago.
(our best friend....such a blessing!)
I thought at this stage of our life, we would be traveling and having fun together. We never know what the future holds... cherish each day!
Alzheimer's is such a sneaky awful disease, it takes away little pieces of the loved one and caregiver piece by piece.
(he loves the music)
If you haven't considered or taken out Long Term Insurance ..... do it tomorrow. The last thing on earth I thought we would need was long term care. It isn't cheap, but I'm so thankful that we have the insurance.
( my friend is such a blessing to me!)
Funny stories and true..... I walked in the door at AlzCare and David was sitting in a chair with a hair net on his bald head. The care taker told me that he looked bored, so she put a hair net on him and ask him to help her dry dishes. She said he dried several dishes, and then he said he was tired. I'm so thankful for caregivers who care!!!
When my best friend and me went for a visit this week, he was in good spirits again. Another funny story...... He was holding his stuffed puppy and petting it...... I ask how she (Casey) was doing... and he said, "you know she's not real don't you?" ..hmmmmm...
(Casey and Pumpkin love to play)
I call 2 times each day to see how he's doing. Yesterday and today they said he'd been sweeping the porch, listening to his music and clapping his hands.
He told me the food was good, the caretakers were very nice and one of the ladies really liked him.
(my sweet pets are such a blessing!)
I thank you for thinking and praying for us.... I'm a believer in prayer.
I feel sad...but....happy .... if that makes any sense.
God is good!
28 comments:
I am so happy that David is doing so well. You both deserve some peace and pleasure. So proud of how you have handled this. We will all learn from you...
There's no easy way to deal with this. You are wonderful example of how the transition can be done with love and grace. It's all that David really needs from you right now and it's a lesson to the rest of us. You both still have your beautiful smiles and I know that God is right there with both of you.
I am just loving all the stories about David's stay in the Alz. home, Dolores. I can tell the situation is already getting better. So happy for both of you...Christine
Yes, it DOES make sense. You are grieving, in a way. For David and the life you thought you would have that has been taken away by this darn disease. I am so happy though that David is adjusting. I knew he would. Caregivers are a blessing from God (and so are FRIENDS!!!!!) XO, Pinky
It makes absolute sense. You are a wonderful and loving person. So happy that David is adjusting well.
Karla
'Warning' you in advance ... there will be many of those funny stories to share. I'm still telling priceless Mother stories almost five years later. Don't be alarmed if David forms 'attachments' to female residents .. totally normal, I promise. Take care. I was thrilled to read your post this morning. Both you and David look awesome.
There really is a fine line between sad and happy, and often they overlap. If in the middle of sad we can recognize something good, that is an overlap because it brings in a ray of light. It causes hope, and it makes us happy to hope because we know this isn't all. Aren't we glad!
Hugs, Debbie
(PS, love the animal antics! Imagine what goes on when you're gone! :D)
Your post brought tears to my eyes...I am glad you have some happy. It can't be easy being happy one minute and so sad the next...Hugs to you and I am glad you have such a dear friend.
It sounds like a great place to live! And it doesn't seem to be a large facility...that's good.
Sending you tons of love and hugs dear friend!!!
hughugs
No, we never know where this adventure called life is going to take us. Thank you for the admonition.
Wonderful to see that David is doing well. Now who is this gal who "really likes him"? ☺
Dolores, I'm SO glad to hear how well David is doing. I felt like it would just take a bit of time. And YOU are doing such a good job of taking care of him! Even to the point of knowing when it was time to move him to a safe and loving place. He looks happy and so YOU need to find some happiness in some of your activities, too. Your pets are hilarious. I love it when the cats and dogs are batting each other around. Lots of entertainment there even tho they may come away with slobber on them!
God bless the caregivers - those at home and heart and those who are the hearts of David's new home. Breathe and let your shoulders down a fraction of an inch. You will be amazed at the difference you are able to feel in your body. Heart feelings are a little tougher to deal with, but you can do it!!
So glad that things went so well this week. May things continue to be smooth and straight for both of you. You are doing a great job. You are an inspiration and you are right, each one of us needs to cherish each day and enjoy each day. Making sure to tell each other that you love them and bending over backwards to be kind and considerate. Blessings on your week end.
Love and gratitude for GOOD alz. facilities and the angel caregivers. I, too, thank God each day for them.
I am SO grateful that David is adjusting well. I'm now praying that YOU do, too, Dolores. I, too, called the facility too many times each day to see how mom was doing. I don't need to do that anymore....I know her care is topnotch. I pray you get to that point, too, and begin living the life that God wants you to live now that David is well taken care of.
My continued prayers and love. xoxo
It makes perfect sense to me Dolores. Happy because you are making the best of such a difficult adversity. God says that He will turn ashes into beauty. That is exactly what you do every day. You take something like Alzheimer's Disease, which is the worst sadness of all, and you look for the best, and you share your story and help so many people, like me. Your best friend looks like she could be your sister, by the way. God is Good because His Grace shines through your words each day.
Karen
We don't have long-term care and can't get it now. This was so wise that you did get it when you could. Glad for your happy tears and continuing answers to our prayers.
Hugs and prayers,
Carol
Every thing you have said 'makes' sense...I have been there. (My David passed away last June at age 65--after 9 years suffering this terrible journey)
Prayers & thoughts are with you. God is faithful. Fran
I am so happy to know about David in Alzcare and it puts a smile on my face. Looks like things are looking up for David and for you. Yes, you were so wise Dolores to have had long term insurance, how important that is, as we never know what life is going to bring us. I once heard something very smart and it stuck on my head and it goes like this: "Life is never how we plan it, or how we envision it...it's always better, or worse than anything we could have imegined"!
Have a lovely weekend sweet Dolores.
FABBY
Dolores,
just getting caught up as I have been away these past several weeks; getting adjusted to work and our new home life. I have read the past post along with this one...I must tell you I cried. I cannot begin to imagine how this has been for you~ But! I life you and David in prayer. I pray God gives you peace knowing David is being well taken care of and that the Lord places his angels around David to minister to him. You are a treasure.
Love and hugs,
Vikki
Yes, God is good and he loves each and everyone of us, we could not survive without his care and love. David looks good and glad he is adjusting, funny he would tell you the stuffed dog was not real. Thank you so much for visiting. Prayers...Lu
Glad to hear David is adjusting well, I know that is one thing that calms your heart.
I'm glad thing are going well. The home looks lovely and most importantly, David looks happy. Gob Bless all Alz care givers. I learned so much from them, how to agree with everthing, how to redirect etc. It truely has to be a job they want, not have to do.
Prayers always,
Tracy
Sad and Happy" makes all the sence in the world. I am glad for both of you that he is doing well. I know this is not easy for you. I will continue to pray for you and David.
Susannah
so happy things are going well..
Glad David is happy there, and you are able to see the funny side of events :) Best wishes, Jenny
"Sad and happy at the same time"? Makes perfect sense with this disease. I'm so glad that things are working out well for David, and that he's happy and well-cared for.
What about you? What are you doing on the days that you don't visit? I hope you are doing something nice for yourself every day, and I hope you are able to relax and sleep, and generally enjoy life a little again. You deserve it.
Love
Gilda
The level of emotions you have must be running full steam, I pray the lord will keep your spirits high knowing David is doing good there.
May GOD continue to bless you in your spirit knowing He has this situation under His control.
We praise the Lord for his continued mercy and blessings.
http://craigtolson.blogspot.com/2012/01/living-in-privacy-of-god.html
Enjoyed (if you can say it that way) your writings about David. Thought you might as well get some comfort in this.
Post a Comment