I Believe...

"LIFE IS NOT ABOUT WEATHERING THE STORM, ...IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN"

Saturday, March 31, 2012

A rough week!   For over a week David wasn't  sleeping at night and keeping all the residents awake with his anger and severe agitation.  He's also needed one caretaker full time to watch over him.

Several days ago he was sent to the ER to have a sonogram of his bladder and check his urine to see if pain was contributing to his severe agitation and anger.    Everything was clear.
(this picture was taken March of last year)

His doctor recommended we call in Hospice.   I met with them this week and so far they've been helpful.   The new plan is to give him pain medication on a regular basis (we don't know if he's in pain or not).   Also a new medication that's helping to keep him calm.  So far the combination is doing a good job.
 (March of last year)

David's Alzheimer medications, Aricept and Namenda have not helped him for almost a year.   For six or seven years these drugs were wonderful.  I was told  there would come  a time when they would no longer help.   I'm thankful for the years they helped..... we made some sweet memories together during this time.

David no longer recognizes me or anyone else.   However, as long as he's calm and peaceful I'm happy.   So much is changing so rapidly as Alzheimer's continues its destruction of his brain.

I'm so thankful that I continue feeling surrounded by loving and faithful friends and family through all of this.
God is good! 

37 comments:

Carol Noren Johnson said...

My heart aches for what this disease does. I admire so much the positive that you always put in your blog. Glad you have good support around you.

Hugs and prayers,
Carol

Mary Lou said...

Your attitude speaks well of the condition of your heart. A grateful heart goes a very long way in making our world a much easier place for us to live in. May God bless you as you continue on this journey. May you feel Him holding your hand and guiding you and comforting you.

Sue Baker said...

Dolores - I am so sorry for all that you are going through... it's very hard to watch someone you love gradually leave you. You are in my prayers every day. Love, Sue

FABBY'S LIVING said...

My heart goes out to you pretty lady, because I know you suffer to see your once, intelligent, wonderful and loving husband's deterioration, almost not in the living world...not even recognizing you, it is sad. All I wish and pray for is that our Lord hold your hand and give you all the strength you need to go on coping with trying times. My prayers are always with you and David. Lots of hugs,
FABBY

Vee said...

Sounds like a tough week for you all. (Nan didn't always know our names, though she seemed to know who we were...that we were "her people." Is it that way for David?) Always praying for you and David and asking for peace and comfort and answers where there can be some. The support you describe is wonderful.

Laura said...

I continue to keep you and David in my prayers. My heart just aches for what you're going through.
Hospice is so wonderful. We only worked with them for the last few days, but they couldn't have been more helpful for us.

Debbie's Garden said...

This is heartbreaking to see the stage you're up to with David. All you can bring him now is comfort and no pain. Its so good to see medication bring him peace. the agitation and anger is not him and so hard to deal with. My prayers are with you and your family through this.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Ok...hospice a such a huge step for you...not David...been there and just know I'm praying for you everyday. David is being cared for worderfully...wish I could help more...

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi darling, I just went back and caught up on your previous posts. I'm so glad to read David is out of the hospital. I hate that you're having to go through this, I know it's hard on you. Continued prayers for you and David.
Things around here are quite the roller coaster. Mr. P falls a lot, his legs don't carry him well, not sure what's going on there. He just had his third small stroke last night, thankfully no after effects. My daughter was here to bring the grandson, they are moving to N.C. the 8th which is Mr. P's birthday, it's hard for us to watch him going through all of this, at one point he didn't know my Catie or Melanie the granddaughter. He tends to bite at me and say ugly things during the process of the strokes.. I cannot express how much I hate this disease and what it does to the man I married... I pray your days are easy and David holds his own..
hugs ~lynne~

Carolyn said...

May you feel God's loving arms upholding you both. With prayers and love, Carolyn

karen said...

Hospice is wonderful. As you know they were apart of ours lives for a few yrs. They will make him very comfortable and you will have many for happy days together I pray.

Latane Barton said...

Dolores, it is such a sad time when our spouses no longer recognize us.. I think of you so often and know that you are going through a terrible time but just remember that we all love you and keep you in our prayers, David, too. Love and hugs, Latane

H said...

Dolores,

I am so saddened to hear the most recent update on David. I have been thinking of you everyday and praying for you all. I pray for sweet David's peace against this raging disease. I pray you will feel all of the love and support we are sending your way.

Heather

Susannah said...

Oh Dolores...this can't be ...but it is ...with Alzheimer's Disease you have no choices. I am so sorry about David. I am continuing to pray for you, David, your family and best friends.

Take care. God Loves You!
Susannah

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I am so sorry to hear of this downturn. This is the saddest disease, it has no mercy. God bless you for being thankful for the years that were good. It would be SO easy to be bitter and cynical. I admire you so. Have a blessed week. XO, Pinky

Happy@Home said...

Dolores,
I am so sorry to hear this. I read your post and had a good cry. It is just heartbreaking what this disease does to our loved ones. It's hard on them and hard on us too.
I will be praying that they will be able to keep David calm and comfortable. That agitation is awful to watch and I can only imagine what it must be like for the patient to go through it.
Take care of yourself and know that so many of us are thinking about you.
Hugs,
Kim

Unknown said...

Hi Dolores,
My heart hurts, knowing that he doesn't recognize you. I am so sorry. I am happy that you are surrounded by so much love to get you through all of this.

My husband is going through another spell of withdrawal. When he learned that he was going to be a Grandfather he became very agitated. My daughter is expecting a baby boy in August. I am thrilled.

God is good that He can give us blessings while we cope with the grief of our burdens.

Karen

Tracy said...

Continued prayers for you and David. Hospice is wonderful,kind and caring. It's so hard when he can't tell you what hurts. My Mom would say ouch to everything, like temp in ear, blood presure cuff, etc. Please take care of yourself, Eat, Sleep, Pray. I wish there was something I could do for you. My heart breaks knowing how you feel. One Day At A Time.

Hugs and Prayers,
Tracy

Betty said...

I'm so sorry you've had such a sad week. I'm just at a loss for words. I'm sure hospice will be a great help to you. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Barbara said...

Dolores, I am so sorry to hear the latest developments. I hope they are able to keep David comfortable.

Know that I am with you throughout your journey. I am praying that God gives you the peace you need.

I will call you this week.

love,
your sister from another family,
barbara

Unknown said...

A hard time for you, I'm sure. God is surrounding David with love in preparation of his departure here, but I can not imagine how difficult it is for you to watch. Blessings and love and prayers coming your way, Dolores.

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

My heart breaks for you!

Helen said...

There is no phase of this disease that isn't horrific to bear .. have you removed David from the Aricept and Namenda? My mother actually did a little better once we took her off Aricept. Take care of yourself Dolores ... you are well aware of all the caregiver horrors. Sending love your way,
Helen

KathyB. said...

I am so sorry to read this and I will pray for you all.

Andrea said...

I am sorry that David is going through this and praying that a medication can be found to ease his symtoms. I'm also praying for you.

Unknown said...

So sorry for this downward turn. So glad that you have so many praying and loving on you! Hugs!

Donna said...

Oh Sweet friend, I hate to hear this...Sending you tons of love and prayer...
Love you!!!!!
((((HUG))))

Nancy said...

Wish there was more we could do to comfort both you and David. Sending hugs to you all.

Nancy Carter, LCSW said...

My heart and mind are with you all the time. I am so proud of you for the person that you are, and will continue to be. David might be in Heaven already, even though his body is still with us, and he is proud of you too. We will all pray for peace. Love you.

Mary said...

This is the worst. You and David are in my prayers. "Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD." ~ Psalms 31:24

Deb said...

sending hugs your way sweet friend...I know this is very hard on you...atleast David does not realize what is going on...will keep you both in my prayers...it is a horrible disease...

ain't for city gals said...

Stay strong...for you and David. Hospice will be a blessing...and it does not necessarily mean the end. Just a little extra help when you need it the most...

Jen said...

What a difficult time for you...keeping you and David in my prayers.

Jeannette

Joy said...

I think of you and David often, Delores. My heart goes out to you and your family. We know that God is good and is helping you through all of this.

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Thinking positive about Christ's death for us and His coming back to life on Easter. Because of Him we can face diseases such as Alzheimer's.

Hoping you are surrounded by family and friends this Easter and continue to pray for you and David.

Hugs,
Carol

Vickie said...

Hello, Dolores....

I'm just wondering how David is doing. Last you said, Hospice was being called in, and I've been thinking about you and David and keeping you all in prayer...

Sending you a big hug...

xinex said...

I am so sorry, Dolores. I hope he has a chance to get better. Hold on to memories for the meantime....Christine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...