Alzheimer's the roller coaster! David was doing well one day last week. When I ask him who I am, he says, " Karen"... (our daughter), but then he remembers that I'm Sweetie.
A peek into David's thoughts and feelings. Breaks my heart!
A few days later and he's totally unresponsive........
Our best friends .... singing to him, cutting his hair and trimming nails. How good is that.....we are blessed!
Jillian combing David's hair.
The picture below.....touches my heart.
Not too often that I'm speechless.......but right now I am.
God is good!
A peek into David's thoughts and feelings. Breaks my heart!
A few days later and he's totally unresponsive........
Our best friends .... singing to him, cutting his hair and trimming nails. How good is that.....we are blessed!
Jillian combing David's hair.
The picture below.....touches my heart.
Not too often that I'm speechless.......but right now I am.
God is good!
31 comments:
Sweet!!!
Oh my goodness, Dolores, what sweet and tender friends! I'm going to cry!
Dolores,
How wonderful that you can record all of this, and yet heartbreaking as well. Maybe David feels like a celebrity with that attention and video recording. Maybe he isn't aware of the recording.
You are teaching me so much as I read and view your blog and tear up with you. You and David are in my thoughts and prayers. Blogging is so important for us caregivers.
Hugs and prayers,
Carol
What wonderful videos...thanks for sharing, I am choking up, what a lovely voice your gd has!
Wonderful videos Delores!! And such wonderful friends...Amazing Grace is my favorite!
Hughugs
Dolores, I had to smile and shake my head. David must be a very nice man; in spite of his confusion he has such good manners. The picture of your friends caring for him, especially his friend cutting his nails really brought tears to my eyes. You already know my mom died many years ago with Alzheimers, but my dad also had demensia the last couple years of his life. I'm so thankful that you and David have collected some very good friends along the way who love you very much. Doint the 'needful' things for someone who is in need shows a humbleness that is inspiring and so often seen today.
I'm so glad you are continuing to let us walk this path with you. I only wish we could do more.
Debbie
Dear, dear Dolores,
I thought I could make it through your post without crying ... how wrong I was. Amazing Grace triggered tears that even now trickle down my face. My God .. how this brings back memories of Mother, memory care and the angels who helped care for her.
Helen
you are very foturnate to have so many supportive people around you...
Tears came, Dolores, as I listened to David sometimes making perfectly good sense and then rambling off on something unknown. It reminded me so much of Elbert. I am so sorry that Alzheimers took my Elbert and has such a huge hold on David. Many prayers, my friend.
I had to compose myself to write you dear Dolores. Your friends are so special and a present from God Himself. There's a saying around this parts: "Friends you choose, family you don't"! GOD IS GOOD my sweet lady. Have a nice weekend. Love,
FABBY
Hi Dolores, I've been reading your blog for some time. I know what a sweet and wonderful man David is. You are losing him in the most painful way. I was crying as I watched the videos. What wonderful friends you and David have--the best. And that first video started my tears. God is sustaining you, and many love and care for you and David. You are finding strength and grace one day at a time on this long and painful journey. As tragic as this terrible illness is, we know there is a bright future ahead for David. God bless you both.
Becky
Tears and hugs to you darling. hugs ~lynne~
The tears are flowing here too. Listening to your conversation brought me right back to the many conversations I had with my mom while she resided in memory care and I think we've all asked "do you know who I am" and held our breath hoping they would get it right. I thought it was so cute how David lit up when you said "Sweetie".
So, the tears flowed for the sadness that is Alzheimer's, but also for the tenderness of dear friends who are there in these times to support you.
Hugs,
Kim
I really enjoyed the little movies. What a nice man he is. I wish I had people to help me. I'm all alone. You all have funny accents! : )
Oh boy, can I relate. Some days are exactly as you posted - up and down roller coaster!Sending love.
Oh my dear Dolores, how painful this must be for you, but we do what we have to do, right? Reminds me of how I cared for my daddy and now doing it all over again with my hubby. Hugs and blessings from your friend...Lu
I watched this tonight and hoped it would encourage you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f6pX1phIqug#!
Let me know if it doesn't come through. It was a beautiful testimony of devotion to a spouse with Alz.
I'm crying and yet I'm happy. Lovely update. You are all so lucky to have each other. I don't know why but phrase tender mercy's kept coming to mind as I watched the videos.
Dolores:
I can feel the love as I watch the videos and look at the photos. You all have such love and David has such love for you. How wonderful to be blessed with such fabulous friends, and I know you are a fabulous friend right back!
Hugs,
Karla
David is such a gentleman...a gentle man. I am deeply touched by the love as well. Many blessings to you both and to your dear friends who help shoulder the burden.
Hi Dolores,
You are so faithful, Dolores. What a sweetheart he is still. I love that you are surround by family and friends during this time.
Karen
So sweet and so heart-breaking. I liked hearing your voices and notice David tries to be polite and kind even when he isn't remembering you.
Thank-you again for sharing this .
Dolores, the videos bring back memories of my Mom, she was SO very sick, for 5 long years and never once complained. David seems like that too, so sweet and loving. Thanks for sharing these precious videos. XO, Pinky
I wanted to quick come by and see how you were doing. Thank you for your kind comment. Alzheimer's is definitely an up and down thing, but David looks good and I'm amazed at how well he speaks. From past experience I believe that what you're dealing with is one of the hardest things to face. Watching someone change mentally and slowly fade away is extremely difficult. I'm glad you're surrounded by such wonderful friends.
You do have wonderful friends. I could not help but cry but the sweet voices singing Amazing Grace sure do lift your spirit. Wishing you a good week-end.
Oh...I understand you. I know what Alzheimer's can do to a person. My mother in law had Alzheimer's.
But one thing I know for sure: God Is good!
God Bless you and David!
Oh Dolores, your videos made me cry. You are such a sweet wife and you are so good to David.I know he can feel that and it probably keeps him going. What sweet voices and sweet friends!...Christine
I've been here before. Then I had no courage to come back... My father had Alzheimer and your blog made me cry like a baby. Too many memories of moments too intense, too lonely for my mom and I.
You are an amazing lady! God bless you and keep you comforted in His love!
MKL
How've you been sweet darling? Are you ok and David? Thank you for coming over and leaving me your always sweet comment dear Dolores, as you are very special in my heart. Enjoy your Sunday.
FABBY
My father passed in 2007 from Alzheimer's. You are a very caring and brave woman to share your story with others. Bless your heart.
Also wanted to thank you for joining us at Flowers for Leontien. xoxo
Precious, precious, precious is all I can say! That was truly precious!! Hugs!
Post a Comment