I Believe...

"LIFE IS NOT ABOUT WEATHERING THE STORM, ...IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN"

Friday, May 4, 2012

Teaching Life Lessons

 My sweet David continues to teach us  'life lessons' in the midst of Alzheimer's   ......     I hate the disease, but I praise God for the love  I see that transpires  from/through  it........ 
 Our daughter and her family came for the day.    We arrived around lunch at AlzCare,  and David was still in bed,  sleeping soundly....very peaceful.     It took awhile to awaken him, but once he was awake our daughter and granddaughter, Ellie fed him.   I can't begin to express how much this  touched my heart and made me thankful to see the 'love' they were showing for David.

Each person's reaction and action when dealing with someone sick is different, but that's okay.      We show love in our own way.  
 
The bracelet on our daughter's arm is one that I gave David.    He never took it off until  I noticed recently that one of the links was worn in half.     I  had the gold re-plated  and gave it to our daughter.   
She calls it her 'good luck' bracelet because it was her dads.  

David didn't respond or recognize us, but that's okay.    I looked at his handsome face and saw peace.    I've prayed for peace...... and I say, "thank you God."
"HAVE I NOT COMMANDED YOU? BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS. DO NOT BE TERRIFIED; DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED, FOR THE LORD YOUR GOD WILL BE WITH YOU WHEREVER YOU GO."
Joshua 1:9

32 comments:

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I see his peace but also his beautiful soul shining through too. YOUR strength amazes and inspires me. XOXO

Teri said...

Oh my heart, Dolores. What a sweet, sweet blessing ... your daughter and hers, gathered around a precious dad and grandfather.

Thank you for sharing this tender memory.

I will continue to pray for peace for David and you and yours.

Barbara said...

My dear friend,

We did pray for peace for David. It appears to be working. While sad to see him so different from just a few weeks ago, we prayed for this peace. Your family loves each other very much and truly lives in God.

My prayers and me are with you in your journey.

love you, my sister!
barbara

Sewconsult said...

Love, so enormous. Tears. Prayers.
Beckie in TN

Unknown said...

His peace is visible. God is so with David. A life lesson and memory for your granddaughters and time to connect with his spirit again. Precious. And peace with you, too. Blessings to you, Dolores.

Gilda Spitz said...

Among all of the sensitive and loving photos and postings that you've done in this blog, Dolores, today's stand out as some of the most touching and beautiful. May you and your David find the peace that you have prayed for.

Love
Gilda

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Those pictures and your tender loving family speak volumes. Love how your daughter cherishes her Dad's bracelet.

Also speaking volumes is the calm acceptance and the joy of the Lord that shows brightly in your posts, Dolores.

Hugs and prayers,
Carol

Latane Barton said...

Sweet David lying there so peaceful. God has surrounded him with the wonderful sense of peace. What sweet family photos, daughter and granddaughters caring for him in such a loving way. My heart aches for all of you.

xinex said...

What a wonderful moment, Dolores. I see peace, love and sincerity...Christine

Happy@Home said...

In the face of such an ugly disease, this is a beautiful and touching post. The tender love that your daughter and granddaughters are showing to David brought tears to my eyes. The last photo is particularly moving. So much love and a sense of peacefulness. The story of the bracelet is so sweet. Your daughter will cherish it forever.
You are an amazing lady, Dolores.
At this sad time you continue to share your journey which is a great blessing to so many others walking this same road.
God bless you.
Sending loving thoughts to you and your family.
~ Kim

Vee said...

Peace and love to you all. You are so right, Dolores, all I see here is sweetness and love. Many blessings as you travel this road...

Anonymous said...

Still handsome, even with the ravages of this disease. These photos are so deeply touching: love in action. There is so much love in your family. You are blessed even through the suffering. David does look peaceful, and that is a blessing too.

Becky

Karen said...

Mom,

I have such wonderful memories of dad feeding his grandchildren with such tender loving care. And I know he fed me many times when I was a baby. I feel so honored and glad that he allowed me to feed him and that I could show my love for him in that way. It was the least thing that I could do and I wish I could do more for him! I am so happy that he let me hug and kiss him. Even though the Alzheimer has ravaged his mind, He is still my daddy and I love him so much!
I love you mom! Your strength is amazing and I am so proud of you! Thank you for the lovely visit! We really had a nice time!

Love you!
Karen

Chatty Crone said...

How very very sweet. sandie

Helen said...

In spite of the ravages of this disease, David still looks healthy. And yes, quite handsome. I have a photo of my daughter, grandchildren and Carl taken on Mother's Day 2007, the day prior to her death .. I look at it often and realize she had already begun the 'leaving us' process. David is still very much 'here.'

Nancy said...

Sending you, David and your whole family lots of love and hugs. Your pictures speak volumes to my heart. Praying for peace for everyone.
Nancy

FABBY'S LIVING said...

David looks so serene and safe! He's feeling all the love and security from all the love that trasspases he's skin, as your lovely girls touch him, feed him, etc. The expression of such BIG love from all your pretty girls, it's amazing! How wonderful that family is with him and with you! Always in my prayers.
Love,
FABBY

Tomarie said...

So sad....yet so sweet. So heartbreaking...yet so beautiful. I hope we find out the answers for why we have to suffer so...and yet, I find it an honor to witness this journey of my beautiful aunt and uncle. The pictures show a father-daughter bond that will forever remain unbroken....forever and ever. I agree with everyone else ....these are some of the most touching pictures you've ever posted on your blog. Love you so much Aunt D! L~

Debbie's Garden said...

Its so good to watch him sleep and be calm isn't it?

Andrea said...

Beautiful, loving pictures of your daughter and granddaughters. I am so happy that they (your granddaughters) are able to deal with their Grandfathers illness with such love and tenderness.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Peace is perfect!

romance-of-roses said...

Sweet Dolores, How wonderful to see your daughter and family gathered with David. Your daughter is very pretty, she looks like you. I was in tears to see this post not only to see David but to remember when my mom was in a home. Hugs...Lu

very_inky_fingers said...

Delores,
I just love the picture of your daughters hand on top of her dad's. There was so much love in that room... and peace written all over David's face. Mary

Debbie said...

This brings back a lot of memories of my mom once she was bedridden with ALZ. My kids were young, but they would climb up on her bed and brush her hair or rub lotion onto her hands. She didn't know them but it didn't matter, they knew their grandma and they loved her. I'm so thankful David has so many to love him and care for him and it is a testimony to the man he has been to others. Hugs Dolores.

ain't for city gals said...

Oh my...what lessons those girls are going to take away from this journey. It was the same with my dad ...all the grandchildren were there until the very end. It truly is beautiful...if we must find a find a silver lining in this...xo

Donna said...

Omgoodness...makes Me cry...Bless their little hearts...and Yours!
hughugs

Deb said...

you have an awesome family....

JeanMac said...

No words could express how I feel Sending love J

Joy said...

Delores, I have moved and am posting from the local library--it was all I could do to keep the tears from falling down my face when seeing the pictures of your sweet David. It is a good thing that you are recording this journey, painful as it is. The tender love of your daughter for her father is so touching, and I can see it in the faces of your grand daughters too.

Blessings to you Delores.

Rebecca Nelson said...

No words. Just tears. Peace. Peace. Wonderful peace. Coming down from the Father above...

Bless you. Thank you for coming to see me.

Love, Rebecca

KathyB. said...

I read this post as I listened to the music "Sunrise, Sunset" and I cried. What a beautiful post. What a beautiful family you have, what love!

At this time of David's life peace is the best request for him I can imagine, God's peace.

I am so glad you are blogging about this sad and painful time in your life, and I know it is a blessing to many. Thank-you Dolores.

Betty said...

I'm playing catch up this morning. What beautiful pictures. You have such a loving family. My son looked at the pictures with me and the pictures and your description brought back memories of my Dad. David looks so peaceful and that is good.

My son reminded me of the day my Dad was drooped over in the wheelchair and no longer really speaking. All of a sudden he started speaking in German. We were shocked. I didn't even know he knew that much German, but I guess he learned it as a child growing up with his German grandmother. It's amazing what's still tucked away in the brain.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...