I Believe...

"LIFE IS NOT ABOUT WEATHERING THE STORM, ...IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN"

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

LIFE GOES ON

For five days when I've gone to see David  he's sleeping.    Sleeping so soundly that loud talking, music and me calling his name doesn't faze him.    
 I've prayed and prayed for his peace.   He looks very peaceful and I'm truly grateful,  but I do miss seeing his pretty blue eyes.

Even though he's sleeping  I talk to him.    I say his name, my name, our children's names and our friend's names ..... I tell him what a good man he's always been, how proud I am of him and how much I love him.

 I rub lotion from Body and Bath on his neck, head, feet and hands....it smells so good!
    He doesn't respond what so ever....but I'm hoping it feels good to him.    His care takers comment how much they love the fragrance.
 Most of the time he's  in bed.    He looks more comfortable  in bed than sitting in the recliner with his head bent down....(he can't hold his head up.)    This doesn't mean that everyone in the last stage of Alzheimer's can't hold their head up.....this happens with  a few like David.

A funeral yesterday, a sweet lady from our church died.  The music was beautiful and sad.   I wasn't familiar with the song "Beyond the Rain" .... I came home and downloaded it to my I Pod..... I've been listening  and crying.
 News that another friend's husband died this morning from Parkinson's disease.   
I celebrate the fact that our friends are well and whole again.

I'm so thankful for beautiful music and caring people.    When I'm sad or disappointed in someone .... I try to remember the sweet words from people who love us and truly care about us....
 God is good!!

     

32 comments:

Tomarie said...

Oh Aunt D. I can only imagine the saddness of all of this. I pray for peace and comfort for you both. To say that you are a good and devoted wife would be an understatement. I know in his heart and soul, that he hears everything you're saying and feels the great love and devotion from you as you physically comfort him. What a good thing you did by taking so many beautiful pictures over the years. I love you both so much! L~

Mary Lou said...

You have such a beautiful heart. I too think he is hearing you and recognizes your touch, deep down in his soul, where the real David is, the one who will one day be walking with Jesus, just like you. You are touching the lives of his caretakers by your example of your love and faith.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Keep on talking to him. They say hearing is the last to go. I am SO sad for you, but happy that david is at peace. Your love will never end, his for you or yours for him. God bless you both. Praying. XO, Pinky

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

And, I am SO glad you have all these BEAUTIFUL pictures. XO

Susannah said...

I know you are so sad...but somehow you always see some good in everything. Not talking to your husband must be the worse.....but if there is a chance David will hear you......and some people say they can...then keep right on talking. It is good for you, too. Rubbing cream on him is so wonderful of you to do. Just to "touch" is good. Take care...you and David are in our prayers here.

Vee said...

You are so good at anticipating his needs...it must feel good to him to have a massage or to have you talk to him. Of course, you talk to him. Do you also read aloud? Scriptures or a favorite book? An old letter? I think you probably do. Tears are healing and your tears are precious to the Lord. Many blessings and lots of love this week to you and David and your family. Prayers, too...

judi/Gmj said...

Sigh. what to say? You are leading the way for me, I'm still taking lessons in how to love and trust.
hugs, judi

Vikki G said...

Thinking of you and praying! You know I also would rub grandma from head to toe with pretty smelling lotion.....it was something little but it was something that I could still do for her. I really believe that our loved ones know that we are there. I think this disease just locks them up inside...my love goes out to you dear friend. Big hugs! Vikki

Shelley said...

Dearheart, Such a treasure you have in these photos! They are a looking-glass, a kaleidoscope of sorts.

I keep you close to my heart and pray often.

Debbie said...

I think of you alot Dolores. I don't even know what to say. Been there with my mom years ago. We can ask why but there's no answer for now. Your are right. God is good, and He sees farther ahead and over the hill than us and He knows what is best. I look forward to the day when we meet Him and He drys your tears and mine and so many others.
Hugs, Debbie

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Do you sing? What is your song? They say music can touch people. My hubby and I sing "Side by Side" sometimes with the iPod in our car.

Hugs and prayers,
Carol

Betty said...

I don't know what to say, but my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Chatty Crone said...

They say that hearing is the last sense to go.

How sweet you are! I am sorry about the loss of your friends.

Love, sandie

Deb said...

So many people would be bitter... I love the way you choose to see the brighter side...

Unknown said...

Beautiful happy photos..love them..thanks for showing us the happy side.

MaLeah said...

I found your blog a year and a half ago from a link off your daughter's blog and have followed along ever since. My husband Matthew and I will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary next month and we hope by the time we celebrate our 49th, we will have made as many beautiful memories as you and your sweet David. I love seeing all your pictures of your trips. Thank you for sharing them! You are in my thoughts! Your positive outlook on remembering the happy times makes me tear up every time I read your blog! Please know that people are touched by your words and love for David!

Laurie said...

You and your hubby are a few steps ahead of us. This week we tried a wheelchair. Gary still walks but it will help us do more, when he tires. I truly thank you for choosing the right perspective in the midst of honest and legitimate feelings of loss. God IS good and we must keep reminding ourselves, as we see the little blessings of restful sleep and the ability for you to be there to comfort him. I am sure that his soul is alive and well and being nurtured and strengthened by our good God.

Donna said...

Just sending you both SOOO much prayer and love sweet friend...
((((((HUG)))))))

Unknown said...

Hi Dolores,

I am sure your sweet attention makes David feel wonderful. Looking at your photos, I can't help but notice what a beautiful woman you are. You are beautiful and your spirit shines through.

I am sorry about your loss of your friends. Yet, I agree with you, they are whole now.

Karen

Deb said...

You really are an inspiration, Dolores. I'm sure you have many bad moments, maybe days, but you always look for the good and that will get you through this. Give David a hug for me. (((hugs)))Deb

Maddy said...

That's all we can do, keep caring.

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

It is good to cry and to talk about it and get it out. Its good that you are able to express this to others and to know you can be of some comfort to others. Its good you have these photos to look back on.

You are in my prayers for the lord to lift your spirits and keep you strong.

romance-of-roses said...

Dolores,
You are such a beautiful person inside and out. I like coming to your blog and reading all the encouraging words, you are truly an inspiration. It's so sad to read about David but your words are full of love and I can see that so was your life with him. I only hope that I can be a person just like you. Prayers, Lu

Joy said...

Delores, when you said you cried, I cried too. You are grieving the loss of so many things. How caring and loving of you to use the lotion on David. I know you are doing all you can, and we know that God sees all you do for David. You are a loving Christian witness for all who come in contact with you.

alfwilk said...

This is a touching post. I love the pictures of you and David. You can tell how much you love him and how happy you are in those pictures. He is peaceful now but it is hard not to know if he hears you but I think he does. God bless you and hugs to you.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Whereas me, I just love to see pictures of the beautiful two of you!! You have the most lovely memories in your life with dearest David and the photos of him with such gorgeous, big smile are the proof. I'm sorry you're grieving for your friends and it cannot be any other way. You do the right thing in crying and letting all your feelings come out, it's good for your health. I love it that you rubbed some cream on David's body as I'm sure he liked it. I'm sorry I couldn't visit you before as I didn't have Internet for almost three days!..but here I am to acompany you and to pray for you, even if I'm very far away phisically from you. May this week coming be a happier one for you.
Love,
FABBY

ain't for city gals said...

I truly believe David has such peace because of you and your love! He knows everything...my mantra was "this is a honor and a prvilege"...you will not regret one moment...xoxo

xinex said...

You are so devoted, Dolores, and I know David knows that and hears everything you say. I pray for peace for both of you. Your pictures are beautiful....Christine

Anonymous said...

Every 69 seconds someone develops Alzheimer’s disease. Please share this video and one thing that you never want to forget to help end Alzheimer’s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeHTTonG6co&feature=player_embedded

Anonymous said...

I wish you peace in this very hard time. Somewhere in the depths of your husband's mind is probably the Lord whispering words of hope and wisdom. So wonderful that you are also there to also whisper the words of faith and patience to your husband as well; all probably the reason why your husband sounds like that he is at peace with everything. Take care and God Bless

KathyB. said...

God is good, life is sad, but eternity is forever.Eternity, where you and David will be together. But meantime, you are separated by this horrible Alzheimers and his beautiful blue eyes are shut as you speak to him.I am praying for you, but your post shows me my prayers for him have been answered. He seems at peace.

Dolores,thank-you for your posts and sharing so much. Thank-you for allowing us to see a little bit of what life with loved ones suffering from Alzheimers experience. Thank-you.

Sheri said...

I just found your blog, no matter where we are on this awful journey God is good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...